humble beginnings pt. 1

#ThrowbackThursday

I take one good look at this shoot (done February 2017) and think two thoughts... 'pure geniusness' and 'what were you thinking?'

These series of pictures obviously happened in the earliest of stages for GOD GIVEN TALENT, when jeans was all I had to sell, and way before I knew how to style/conduct a photoshoot. Have I grown since? Yes, I certainly have.


Here's why it's 'pure geniusness:'
White sneakers + white socks + white t-shirt = blank canvas. How I see it, the colour of the denim stands out because it is the only part of the outfit not plain white. In other words, it's a splash of colour against a white background. It is the statement piece (comment below if you agree).

The second reason I love it is because the t-shirt read a call to action... 'Buy My Jeans.' It, hopefully, gives viewers the incentive to make a purchase.

But, did these elements actually work? Eh, kind of...


Here's what I would change:
First off, change the location! These images are taken in 3 different spots within 2 kilometres of where I live: the local basketball hoop, my backyard and my bedroom. Keep the outfit but have it photographed in a more street location, i.e. on a road in front of plain walls.

Secondly, get rid of that stupid basketball. It's awkward and takes away from what I'm actually trying to achieve, selling jeans. And I'd adjust the posing to have more emphasis on the pants. What was I thinking?



Finally, and not too majorly, find a different model. That way people don't come away with the misconception that only I can pull of blue denim. If both a generic looking guy and girl featured in the shoot, customers could probably see themselves in some blue denim. Feel free to disagree, it's just my personal opinion.

Now time for your thoughts. Comment below what you believe the pros and cons are for this photoshoot. Who knows, you might disagree with my harsh assessment of myself.


ALL PHOTOS SHOT BY DAN BOHLSEN

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM

Comments